Saturday, June 18, 2016

6/18/2016 2:00 pm

So I go into work on Wednesday, and it’s supposed to be a relatively slow night so I’m expecting to get out around 10. Nick, the guy who normally works with me in pantry, was off that day, so I was working with Tyler. (Tyler goes to Alabama, ew. But don’t worry every time he says “Roll Tide” I make sure to respond with War Eagle) Tyler was only scheduled until 8 so I knew I would have to close pantry by myself, no big deal. However, about an hour into my shift, the head chef, Jack, comes by and says “Oh by the way we have another inspection tomorrow morning, so just take everything out and clean it all just like you did last time.” Of course I respond with “Okay, no problem!” But last time, I had Nick there to help me. Cleaning for inspection is incredibly time consuming. Dinner went well, and Tyler was kind enough to stay until 8:40, but the majority still needed to be done. Little did I know, cleaning all of pantry was going to be the least of my worries. I finished pantry around 10:40, and I assumed I would just help Kayla, Keneec, and Randall finish the back and be out around 11:30. Oh boy was I wrong. Apparently, everything was labeled incorrectly. Everything. When I went to the back, the tables were covered with trays of food, because they had to empty out every single cooler and walk-in to re-label everything. Honestly, it’s a really good thing that I like who I work with because even though we were there labeling and re-labeling things until 2 am, I was having fun. After we finally clocked out and everything was done Randall brought down some beer and Keneec made us sandwiches, and oh my goodness this sandwich was incredible. It had a lot of stuff I normally don’t eat on it but it was so good I didn’t even care. He took a mixture of peppers, onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes and put it in a pan with egg and cheese and then put it on toasted bread. It was SO good. I’m not sure if it was because we had just worked so much or because it was 2 am, or even a combination of both, but it was the best sandwich I’ve ever had. I was off the next day, thankfully, and I slept until noon then watched movies with my friend.

When I went into work yesterday, I knew I was going to be by myself in pantry because Nick and Tyler were both off. I was a little surprised they were both off on a Friday. I got in and asked the morning pantry guy if there was much prep to do for dinner, he said there wasn’t really much to do, but when I went back there I realized he was incorrect. I had to prep basically everything for dinner by myself, thankfully one of my friends, Raheem, wasn’t busy so he helped. But I was still a little nervous about working pantry alone on a Friday night, when apparently the occupancy of the Inn was about 80% full. The first 20-ish minutes were nice and slow. But after that I was constantly doing something. At one point I had about 10 tickets on my line and they weren’t just single items on each ticket. I was feeling a tad overwhelmed. I got everything out without any complaints though. And at the end of dinner service, the sous chef, Simon (he normally messes with me and says I mess things up even though I don’t), told me “hey, way to rock it tonight. seriously, good job.” So I’m pretty proud of myself for last night.

Tonight, Nick is back so things should go smoothly. I have Tuesday and Thursday off this week, and we hope to do a long hike on Tuesday, so I’ll keep y’all posted.

Oh, and it started snowing again today. So that's cool.

3 comments:

  1. Krissy, your incredible work ethic will continue to take you far. You make me so proud! Keep doing well in all you do. I'm glad your adventure is going so well. Keep having fun! - Daddy O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kristen! That's a lot of work! But it sounds like fun, too! I can't believe you had snow! I'm so glad you're having such a great time. We miss you and love you lots! Aunt Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work! When you work hard with a great attitude, people notice. I'm glad you're enjoying your summer. Love Aunt Terri

    ReplyDelete